Sunday, July 12, 2015

I Began to Cook at Home

Once I began making good food choices with fast food, I began to have more energy, so I began cooking at home. In the beginning, I would cook about once a week. The first healthy meal I learned to cook was salmon, spinach, and baked sweet potato. Let me tell you, that stuff was good! I hadn't fully evolved yet, so my salmon had maple syrup and soy sauce all over it, the spinach and sweet potato were drowning in butter, but I was making progress.

The more I cooked, the more I enjoyed cooking. The more I enjoyed cooking, the more I realized that all of the ready made, quick prep processed food wasn't much faster than just cooking with real food. I used to eat Hamburger Helper (on those rare occasions when I would cook), and I realized that I still had to cook the meat and I still had to boil the noodles. Instead of adding the processed package, I realized that I could add some tomato sauce with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and oregano, and have a meal that was better for me, that tasted better!

Early on, the prep is what was took me forever! If I wanted a salad, I would peel the cucumber, slice it, then slice the tomato. 10 minutes, at least. I was really slow. Today, I can peel, and slice up a cucumber in about two minutes.

This past Monday I roasted a whole chicken! I didn't have twine so I used dental floss to tie it up, and miraculously, my chicken didn't taste minty! :). I ate some of the chicken for dinner, pulled the rest of it, mixed it with organic mayo and celery, put it in the food processor, and I had the best chicken salad I've ever had! ...and I made it myself! Also, because I used almost an entire chicken, it lasted me the entire week! #savingmoney

No comments:

Post a Comment