Sunday, August 17, 2014

Hungry for Change

After I decided to eat better to feel better, I started doing some research. My research led me to Netflix. Yes, Netflix. On Netflix, I found a documentary titled "Hungry for Change". In this "Food Doc" I learned how bad certain foods are for us, and how good certain foods are for us. At one point in the doc, it goes into detail about bad diet soda is for us. Then, toward the end, it challenges us to make one good decision with every meal, and that's just what I began to do.

During my subsequent fast food visits, I made good decisions with each meal. The first time, I didn't supersize my soda or my fries. Later, I subbed my fries for fruit. Then, I got grilled chicken instead of fried. I wasn't taking huge leaps; I was making small steps, but I was making progress.

The more good decisions I made, the better I felt physically (for obvious reasons) and I felt better emotionally, because I realized that I could exist without constantly being face down in a bowl of sugar.

After being so impacted by "Hungry for Change", I began watching every "Food Doc" I could find. "Food Matters", "Forks Over Knives", and my fave..."Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". The more "Food Docs" I watched, the more I realized the depth of how unhealthy I truly was.

By nothing short of a miracle, one of my best friends is a professional chef and culinary instructor. (Her blog is http://www.kitchenno4.com.) How convenient!!! Let me quickly back up and say that she has been preaching to me FOR YEARS about how I needed to eat healthier. Well Lu-Lu (that's her name), I finally saw the light!

No comments:

Post a Comment