Hello there!
Two years ago, I was a junk-food junkie. I ate fast food every day, mostly Chick-Fil-A. I literally drank soda like it was water, and when my friends would challenge me to drink water, I would respond with "there's water in the ice". I ate cookies and candy like my life depended on it. It wasn't unusual to find Oreos, Cheetos, and Oatmeal Cream Pies in my nightstand. I hated water, I hated veggies, and if it wasn't dipped in sugar and fried, I wasn't interested. Then something changed...
After a youth leadership conference called "Capacity", I felt like God was calling me to fast. If you're not familiar with spiritual fasting, basically it's going without something (typically food) for a period of time to grow closer to God. Anyhoo, I felt like God was calling me to fast for 30 days. He wasn't specific about the kind of fast, so I began to entertain thoughts of various types of fasts. I wasn't about to do an absolute fast, (no food at all), so I began to weigh my options. I thought about a Daniel Fast, (fruits, veggies, and grains), but I had done that fast before and hated it. A few days into my search for a fast, I had lunch with one of my friends who was on the Paleo Diet, (meat, veggies, and fruit), I researched it, found out I could just sit around and eat bacon all day, and I. WAS. IN.
Lord, I'm gonna do a bacon...I mean Paleo Fast.
The first few days, I literally ate bacon, Lil' Smokies, and chicken nuggets. Even though I was still eating terrible, guess what I wasn't eating? Cake, cookies, and chips. Guess what else? I wasn't drinking soda. The first few days I felt like I had just escaped from rehab. My head was hurting, I felt like I was getting the flu, and I broke out in cold sweats. My life was terrible. After detoxing, I started feeling...better! For the next few weeks, I had energy! I was able to think critically and make great decisions! I felt like a new person....until.... the 30 days was over, and I returned to my prior diet of soda and cake sandwiches. In a just a few days, I felt awful again. I didn't want to feel awful again, but I didn't want to eat meat and veggies for the rest of my life. I was tired of being tired, and knew I needed to make a change, but had no idea what to do or how to do it.
No comments:
Post a Comment